Monday 21 September 2015

Robot Design Task (And Hello!)

Hello my name is Brandon Jackson and this blog is the home of my upcoming work that I'll be producing as a part of my university studies on the course: BA (Hons) Computer Games Arts.

My first solo task involves coming up with 3 robot ideas and a final design in colour, the first thing I started drawing was an old concept I've thought about: a robot made of stone
 Originally I was going to attempt multiple variations of each of my 3 concept ideas (which is why there is 2 designes for Stone Robots), unfortunately I didn't have enough time to do this, so this was the result. The first design is meant to be a cute robot with a stretchy arm and lights that showed when it needed to buffer, which don't appear as bulbs but carvings in the stone shell. The second idea is meant to be a colossal tank robot that would look almost like a building.

 I had done some research on robots I could remember from existing works of fiction, and found one with an appeal I hoped to replicate: My Life as a Teenage Robot. I love the cartoony way they creatively portay a teenage girl as a robot, and so I thought of a parallel; after cycling through ideas like a postman or princess I found myself going through another character concept I thought of, which involved witches. That was where ideas came together. The hat and robo-teye-glasses can portray emotion very well, and the shape can be used in a way to appear sleek and futuristic, just like a robot.
This is the final design, made green to show a bit of innocence as well as being the easiest colour I could use, overall I'm happy with it and I look forward to making more designs throughout my studies!

No comments:

Post a Comment